Monday, November 17, 2008

it just brings us back to authenticity...

So in class we talked about how producer and whoever can change the original recordings of an artist to basically anything. It obviously brought up authenticity. Is music still authentic even tho its being morphed like this? Or is this just another step in music evolution?
This made me think of Kanye West, who I kinda love. He makes me want to dance.
Anyway, basically the last like 85 songs he has made uses a synthesizer to make his voice go all crazy. This is kinda silly because this is not his real voice. Kanye West cannot sing. However, he can use the technology available to him and make his voice sound fuckin sweet, and in return make me dance my ass off to his music every weekend (slash when im driving alone in my car and think no one can see in my windows...you do it too.)

So basically I can decide what my stance is on this arguement. On one hand I think all this technology does make the music unauthentic. That's not their real voice, this music wasn't made from instruments, it was made from a computer... However, I also think that people are making amazing music using this technology, and turning music production to a completly different artform.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard that Kanye's new album is entirely pitch-filtered (or whatever that production tool is)... Got a good review, too! The reviewer I heard (on NPR, I think) heard his use of technology as a way of distancing himself while simultaneously talking about really personal stuff (mother's death, I think?)....

And then there's KRAFTWERK, of course....