I am a preschool teacher. This means i spend 8 hours a day with 15-20 four year olds. It also means I sing "The Wheels on the Bus" and "The ABC's" at least 10 times a day. Obviously, I get super sick of most of these songs. There is a wicked creepy version of that song "this little piggy went to the market this little piggy stayed home.." i dont know what the actual name of it is. But it is sung by little children really slow and just as creepy as possibly. We listen to it everyday at nap time and I hate it so so much.
Even though I get super sick of most of the song, through working at the preschool I have learn what a great tool music is in teaching. Putting something to the tune of a song makes it so much easier for the children to remember. We have a song for the days of the week, the colors in the rainbow, and obviously the ABC's.
It isn't just a good tool for preschoolers. Last semester I took a math class for my Elementary Ed major. We were learning about Fibonacci's sequence. I remembered a song that my sixth grade teacher taught me... "Fibonacci has a sequence here it is. 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13 here it is! take the first term add the next term and then you have the third term" Yup, I don't think I will ever forget Fibonacci's sequence becacuse of that song.
I have also learned that the love of music starts at a young age. The kids at my preschool love The Wheel's On The Bus as much as I love the new Ben Harper CD. Their absolute love of all the songs we sing is what makes them be able to learn from them. Keep Singing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Haha it's funny you say that. I worked at a daycare for 3 years when I was in High School and we were constantly singing and making up songs for the kids to help them learn their colors, abc's, days of the week, etc. They actually do really help. All kids want to do when they are young is play and have fun, so when you add some kind of excitement, they are actually more intrigued to learn and learn it at a faster pace.
Post a Comment